Thursday, December 17, 2009

update on cutwork lace, spinning

The cut work lace is proceeding. I won’t say it is fast. I won’t say it looks like the picture in the book. The design does not “open up” and show itself, which is most unfortunate. I need to go back to the one I started with and open up more of the threads that I’m removing, then complete a second “flower” or two so that both cuffs keep pace with each other. I do think I am gaining a feel for how the stitchery goes and may even finally grasp the pattern itself. The first half of each pattern has seemed easy. The second has been almost incomprehensible: how do I get to the end from the mid point?

Kanerva, my Ashford Traditional spinning wheel, got a present today: a distaff. I fetched the box from Customs this morning, the whole trip going like clockwork. Once I had a break in the day I sanded the distaff then oiled it and this evening I waxed it and then attached it to Kanerva. It is very elegant. I attached it so that I wouldn’t loose any parts though I don’t yet need its services. The time is coming when it will be needed.

The Inkle loom was also in the box from Customs. It also got a sanding, oiling and waxing before I put it together. I haven’t glued the pegs in. Most pegs seemed to fit quite snugly. The three pegs that weren’t snug, I “snugged” by adding a strip of yarn around them. I also made the leashes for weaving. So all is set. Now I must spin wool and wait for the lace flier to be back in stock, paid for, and arrive before I tackle spinning cotton. Only after the wool and cotton is spun will I settle down to weave the belt.

No comments: