Monday, December 7, 2009

Another Progress report

I figure it has been some 5 days since I last posted. A lot has happened in that time. and much of it has kept me away from my computer. My apologies if this report is long, but I am compensating for three day’s absence.

On Wednesday afternoon I called Eija for a chat. We clarified all my questions. In the evening, at Puikkoset, Pirkko and Lea Kaarina poured over the cutwork photos with me. We all ogled the books. We counted what I had done, agreed it was definitely not the intended lace – and here I mean the most simplified lacework. They guessed that the “look” is different due to the photographed blouse having been washed and any shrinkage and movement that washing could create.

Else also took a picture of me spinning silk. One small length from a silk cap I had dyed with Ashford dyes. I used the Navajo plying technique to get a short three ply bit of silk yarn.

On Thursday I got to my sewing class and went over all the pictures and information again with Ritva. Unfortunately I had lost my needle somewhere between Puikkoset and class so I didn’t get any sewing done, but as I had to leave for another meeting it probably didn’t matter.

I am determined to spend the Christmas break practicing… now to find time to do so. I returned the library books to Ritva. Interestingly enough at the meeting I had to go to, Leila brought me a copy of Suomalinen Reikäompelu (Finnish Cutwork) which was printed in 1951 several years before I was born! It is one of the books Ritva had borrowed from the library, it is out of print, and this particular copy is now mine! How very fortunate to have such excellent friends! I was also able to discuss some patterns with granddaughter Lilja and hope to use her ideas.

On Friday I had a two hour break between classes and went into town. At Eurokangas, a large fabric store, I bought two meters of closely woven white cotton and intend it for my blouse. Then I went to käsityöneuvonta (handwork consulting) which deals with weaving and sewing issues. They were a tremendous help. They provided a short piece of cotton yarn that is a 28x2 tex. It is slightly thicker than button thread. That’s what I need for the skirt warp. It would be a 20x2 ne. I decided almost immediately that I do not feel like I wish to spin about 10 kilometers of cotton singles and then ply them to a five kilometer length, even if the total weight would be 500 grams (one pound). This particular project did not sound like “fun” – though I could be wrong! I don’t mind trying oh say 50 grams at that degree of thinness!

Besides it needs to be mercerized – and I don’t think I can do that at home.

On Friday afternoon, before my Tai Chi class I had found a source of appropriate cotton yarn –Ashford! I will look for others and go with the most reasonable. I also went to Poppeli to see if Pauliina had cotton yarn that would be appropriate for the belt. She does. However, I didn’t buy any because this is something I do want to spin myself and it is a four ply. If I do not succeed, then I can buy. Still, I face the problem of mercerization that I really don’t believe can, nor should, be done at home. My sources seem silent on the subject. Meanwhile I do have to ask Heather a few more spinning questions. I’ll be back!
Smiles,
Susanne

No comments: