Sunday, December 13, 2009

snail's pace progress

It seems I cannot keep up, fortunately I have not set out to blog every day, nor have I promised to deliver “x” amount of handiwork per day, both of which is most fortunate, because life and unexpected meetings keep getting in the way of succeeding.

On Wednesday at Puikkoset, I managed to get 30 threads pulled from 2 inches of closely woven cotton. On Thursday at the Kansallispuku ompelu, I got a little of that lacework begun. It is on the sleeve cuff. Next I will need to take the other sleeve cuff and do the same. That way I will have two cuffs that both begin equally incompetently. Hopefully the rhythm and structure of the lace motif will settle in well before I am at the mid point of both cuffs. On Monday evening I will open an equal distance on the other sleeve cuff.

I am still spinning wool for a blanket, but since I will get a package from Customs on Wednesday, and it has the wool from Ashford... I need to finish this current spinning, which I can come back to. I will try spinning the wool for the belt over Christmas. I will put together the Inkle Loom that’s in that package at Customs too. Once I set up to spin that wool and get into the groove of it I suppose I ought to do the entire kilo at once – or to be fair: to do it without interrupting myself with other spinning. I need the same thickness of wool for the skirt so it would be best to lock into the groove of spinning just that. The yarn for the belt will be the “test run.” Currently the idea of spinning an entire kilo of wool seems an exceptionally tall order! Then I must dye it. I will dye the wool for the belt with indigo.

How much madder do I have?

Have I got enough indigo?

Now I must get back to work. I have texts that require the language be checked.

No comments: