Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Time flies

It is almost the Gregorian New Year, so Happy New Year to those celebrating the event. I will most likely be home - that is my intent. Probably I will be spinning. The dogs will take me for an early walk, before the area turns into an auditory equivalent of cities under bombardment.

I have made minor progress: I test spun the two samples of wool and got a satisfying 20 meters from my first singles, which meant it was about 50 tex. So with the second trial gram of wool I got just over 12 meters and am assuming that is close to an 84 tex.

Carefully I wrapped the results around some nice green card I remembered having bought about three years ago thinking I needed it, but had never used it. The "fatter" results sits on my lap as I spin to remind me of the target.

My cutwork lace is progressing too. I now have 18 pattern repeats completed: nine on each cuff. Less than half to be sure but still considerable progress. On one I have pulled the threads out even further and "grouped" the remaining threads in tiny bundles of four. This is a serious error I know. Threads need to be worked in groups of three. However the threads are very fine and the pattern is not opening up prettily when grouped in threes. I think groups of four will give me the "look". It will also eventually lead to fewer pattern repeats. But I think I can handle that sacrifice, and possibly save what remains of my vision!

Today I was in Ekolo, a marvelous eco shop in Jyväskylä. I had decided to buy henna hair dye for my wool (the wool off of sheep, not the stuff sprouting out of my scalp). As I studied the packets, reading the directions, I decided I wanted to know what the ingredients were. One, supposedly for reds, is 100% henna; the other, supposedly for black, is 100% indigo. The packets are preweighed (100 g), but I kept weighing them in my hand and trying to remember "how much" was needed to dye "how much" wool. Actually I just wanted to be sure I bought enough. I decided to buy one of each. The henna will be enough for a test with about 100 g of wool or silk. The indigo will be enough for several kilos of wool or silk. Am I happy? Oh yes! This is as good as the time Kristiina and I "found" saffron on sale at some ridiculously give away price. Hum, I wonder what color saffron would dye wool or silk... Silk, saffron is too expensive for wool!

Oh I did get the software for the camera downloaded, and I even took some pictures - but I haven't put the pictures on the computer to upload. Sorry.

Smiles,
Susanne

No comments: