Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Early September

Seems like an age and yes, by and large, I have been busy. Work on the garden has had its ons and offs. Offs have come due to rain and other commitments. The area I have been weeding and reweeding, is quite muddy for a day or two after rain, and the dirt clings more to the weed roots. On the other hand the rain helps the weeds sprout so I can find them and dig them up.

Today I not only worked on reducing the weed population – a pathetically slow endeavour as I am trying to get the small hair roots as well as the bigger ones – but I also cleaned seven large flower pots that have been given to me. I plan on replanting my coffee plantation, which is currently all in one tall but narrow pot. The gardenia also needs repotting and the Bay laurel is suffering and surely wants more dirt and some feeding.

Clean flower pots:

The gardenia:

The coffee plantation:


Yesterday I managed to transplant the spring bulbs I received last spring. Their new home is around the base of my apple tree. They include crocus, narcissus and daffodils. I hope to add tulips and lilies. I also need to plan a similar planting around the cherry tree. Gladiolus planted around midsummer are blooming, or about to, and looking very nice indeed. Soon enough I’ll have to dig up the onions and the glads.

Yesterday I also “finished” the cotton yarn I’ve been spinning. I boiled it in detergent and washing soda for an hour, rinsed it well in three changes of water, then boiled it again in plain water. After that I hung it to dry with weights depending from it. I have no idea exactly why all this was recommended. Next time I will try a different means of “finishing” my cotton yarn, perhaps just washing it and perhaps steaming it.

Natural colored cotton:

Natural white cotton:

The brown cotton grew that color. I know. I used to think all cotton was white too. Not so. These two efforts were my first major endeavor with cotton. The brown was spun on my Ashford Traditional at ratio 17 to 1. The white was spun on a drop spindle. Both were chain plied on my Ashford Traditional. They are about to go in the mail to my teacher for her comments.

I’ve also been busy making inkle band book marks. I’m satisfied with the blue, white and gold combination – based on a traditional Finnish pattern. I haven’t found exactly the combination that I want for the black, white, green and gold. I have now taken the endeavour to the literal drawing board before I rewrap my loom. If time were not an element then I would do a raised pattern motif.

The (out of focus) inkle bands:


The drawing board:

No comments: