Saturday, September 25, 2010

Replanting

I replanted things a couple of weeks ago – right after cleaning up all those pots. I meant to get everything replanted but somehow didn’t have the right size pot for the geraniums! They don’t seem to be root bound so perhaps that’s alright.

Once upon a time I planted four date seeds in a pot – a very small pot. One came up but eventually died. So I planted a few “Christmas cactus” leaves which took off remarkably well. Then another palm sprouted, but also died. So I planted a lemon seed, which spouted immediately and has done very well in the small pot. When I took this small crowded pot out to transplant the cactus and the lemon I found that yet another date palm had sprouted. It had an amazingly long tap root for such a tiny pot, but it was thriving most happily. So I planted it in the long tall flower pot and replanted the lemon in the tiny thing it’s been in. I’ll just have to get it another pot.

I tried to separate the coffee plantation, but it seems to be multiple stems of one tree. It reminds me of willow. It was exceedingly happy to get out of the pot it had been in. It was very happy but very root bound. I discovered it REALLY likes wet feet. Now the challenge will be to keep it comfortably moist.


The gardenia and the cactus look like they might be happier now. I hope so. Time will tell. Their pictures did not come out clearly enough, so you'll either just have to take my word for it, or come visit and see for yourself.

No comments: