Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More catching up

It is fall. Time to resume work on the national dress I am making. Classes resumed last week. Making very little, or very slow progress seems to be my current speed. Over the summer I did not get the zigzag stitchery done on the blouse parts. That task must be done before I continue doing the cut work embroidery. I also did not spin any wool for the skirt or apron, so that must be done. It only requires spinning a kilo or two (two to four pounds). So far, my largest project has been about 300 grams (just over half a pound). After it is spun I’ll need to dye it; and, before I dye it, it will have to be very carefully set out, measured off and tied so that the ikat in the weft will come at just the right places. I asked about that last Saturday when the Finnish Handicraft museum hosted a day devoted to National Dress.

Cut work embroidery on sleeve cuffs (click for larger picture):


I did manage to dye some of the belt warp with indigo, but it isn’t yet a dark enough blue, so it needs to be redyed. I also managed to buy the white cotton for the contrasting color of the belt warp. I also bought yarn for the socks. It will also need to be dyed. Knitting socks will be a major undertaking for me: I knit well enough but am dreadfully slow and clumsy. I also got my sewing machine overhauled – but I think I am a long way away from having anything to sew with it, and most of the sewing will be done by hand.

Indigo dyed hand spun yarn for belt warp - the flash makes it seem paler than it is, but it isn't dark enough:


Before I can begin spinning the wool, I must finish a current project: spinning some lovely Merino for Leila. The first skein is ready - almost 400 meters (definitely 400 plus yards) and 70 grams (2.25 oz), but it seems likely that two more skeins will come from the second 100 grams (3.5 ounces) as there is about 30 grams (1 ounce) still on the bobbins. I’ll just add the rest of the wool to that and then ply. Leila should get a fair amount of fun with this once it's done.

First skein for Leila and bobbins with singles:

No comments: