Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Socks


Here are the first set of socks I made from my handspun yarn. I learned a great deal in making these. First I learned about how important it is to spin a consistent yarn. And I learned about overspun yarn - the sock on the left is almost all overspun and like "rope" the one on the right is only overspun to the "foot" - the little dip is where the yarn changes to a nicer softer spin - that unfortunately was still not "consistent" - the thickness varied.
BTW all the wool comes from four different breeds of sheep. The white at the top cuff is Romney. Then comes Manx Loghtan - a rare breed. After that is Finnsheep. I am iritated that I didn't get the color the same for both socks. The bulk of both socks is Ramboullet. Of these, my favorites are the Manx and the Ramboullet.
I also learned how to make socks... or maybe I should say I learned how NOT to make socks: this being a good example of how not to make socks! But I did learn how to do some jice invisible yarn joins! The heel needs to be deeper and... well, I won't bore you. These will probably go to Sofia or Anisa (grandgirls #2 and #3 respectively). Hopefully they will not be too uncomfortable to wear!
Yesterday I finished weaving a body snug - picture to be forthcoming next time. I think it might be size 2. The color is neon fuschia (my own term for this vivid pink). I HOPE I made the neck opening big enough! I am making up the pattern as I go which is scary.
Smiles,
Susanne

No comments: