Saturday, October 18, 2008

What I've been up to

Last time I said I'd been sick and had taken out a package from my birthday, So today I thought I bring you up to date with that project.






This is a stack of silk hankies. There is about one and a half ounces (45-50 g) of them here, and they are about an inch (2.5 cm) high. Pretty colors don't you think?





Here you see four of them. One of tehm has been almost pulled away. Next step is to pull the one off and then apart by separating it from the middle outward and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it. It is not elastick put it sort of pulls apart and that's the idea. After that comes the knitting... and the pattern called for 5 repeats. Wow dit I get lost with that one. So I decided I would try to learn to knit the pattern. I chose some wool I'd spun and this is what the pattern looks like with just two repeats.







It doesn't look so bad at all - until you see it in the silk. This is after I ripped out the first attempt and redid things with just three of the patern... and suddenöy I found I had more stiches that I should have and .... anyway.





I think it looks moth eaten. I will keep at it. Maybe it will turn out better when there is more of it. I have to admit the dog fur is driving me crazy! It keeps "adhereing" to the silk. Meanwhile I have also been spinning. Here's the last picture for today. Lovely skeins of wool just out of their "setting" bath and now "drying". The colorful one is the same stuff as the knit peice above - in case I want to knit more of it - merely practicing, you know. The Grey is Romney (a sheep breed), and the brown is Merino - you all know that is a sheep breed!












No comments: