Saturday, October 2, 2010

Friday to Saturday

The past few days have gone by in a blur. Yesterday Lilja and I walked to the lake to watch the mist rise and eventually vanish in an almost undectable zepher that slowly pushed it down the bay and away. Lilja focused on the fish rising to feed. It was a lovely still morning with the lake mirror-like.

Some time between then and now I have sorted out most of the moodle muddle that is my responsibilty.

Thanks to Dominique for suggesting The Book Depository for the text books needed. They have all we need... BUT the parents will have to order them themselves and present the bills to me so they can be reimbursed. And it means I will not get a copy of each textbook so I'll have to fudge it.

I have been considering the "national dress" situation/progress. It has five main parts: 1) the cap; 2) the vest; 3) the belt; 4) the skirt; and 5)the blouse. I can add socks, shoes, and slip to this package if I so choose. I do not have the pattern for the cap or for the vest. I will need fabric samples and the patterns for both. Someone in my national dress sewing class has promised to check her supplies at home to see if she has the right base yarn for the belt, if not then I need to make it with something much thinner. The wool for the skirt must be spun then dyed, after that I can weave it. The problem that is gripping me just now is the blouse. I know how to construct a moddern blouse, but this seems to be constructed quite differently. The directions which I have consist of an incorrect pattern and some photocopies of the completed blouse. I think I have sorted out the problems with the pattern and seem to have all the necessary pieces but...!

I know I should do the machine embroidery first... but which pieces will have a backing piece? Do I turn the edges first or after the fact? There are so many completely unclear aspects to this that I do not even know where to begin asking intelligent questions. There is no clear working list to guide me. I need to know how the whole thing goes together so I can plan and execute to parts of the blouse (and just now if blouse parts had lives... executing them would be VERY tempting!).

But it is time to walk the mutts and get ready for a meeting.

No comments: