Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Garden

This year I took a "garden plot." These garden plots are rented from the city, and mine happens to be a three minute walk from my home. It is also a "multi year" plot which means I can plant things like fruit trees and berry bushes. It is 70 square meters (10 x 7 meters). This particular plot hasn't been tended in at least the six years that I've been here and possibly much longer so it is basically wild and would all look like this:

If you look closely you can see I've beaten a "path" through here. It goes to the left corner of my plot where I put my berry bushes, which you cannot see because the "weeds" are taller than the bushes. That corner of the garden is my next project.

Here are some wild flowers. The closed cup-like one I have not been able to identify. Some of the weeds, like this one, I am transplanting to another area so they can continue to grow.


These have not yet bloomed and I don't yet know what they are. There is a nice mass of them here and I am debating moving them or just leaving them where they are obviously very happy. Leaving them would be the easiest thing.

This last picture is toward the one third of the plot that I have begun dealing with. You cannot really see the "sea-buckthorn" bushes that are planted in the right corner of the plot. They are only about 10 centimeters (4 inches) high, but in time will grow to about three or four meters and will have wonderful berries. You can see the two trees. the closest one is an apple tree and the other is a cherry. I will trim them each autumn to keep them smallish. There are a few other things I have planted here. This year I am more in the hopes of "having some fun" rather than expecting results. Yes, just digging is fun especially when the mosquitos aren't too fierce and the weather not too hot.

No comments: