Friday, July 16, 2010

July 16 2010

It is almost "hot" - humid to be sure. We finally had rain last night and that cooled things off a tad and raised the already high humidity from 35% to about 45%. At least I don't need to water my garden today. But it's been too hot to spin, too hot to do much - except work in the garden in the earliest part of the morning. But today I am not working in the garden.

My neighbor Taina has provided me with a means of transporting water from the lake to my garden more easily. She converted a baby buggy into a "transport" wagon.

Tuesday I bought an apple tree and a cherry tree. I got the cherry tree planted on Wednesday and am still preparing the ground for the apple tree. There is lots of crab grass to dig up. The root systems on that crab grass are so dense and extensive that, if I do not get most of it removed from the area, it will just move right back in and could strangle the two new trees before they get established. The crab grass would also make it impossible for me to plant flowers under the trees. I plan on planting flower bulbs that will be in bloom from spring to late summer as successive waves of flowers come up. Hopfully in the future, once the trees and the bulbs are established, which will take about two years, their roots will be enough to keep crab grass away.

My "garden" is about 200 meters from my home. It's only 70 square meters and no one has been tending it in at least the six years that I have been living here. I'm renting it from the city for small fee. Most of my summer has been and will continue to be just digging up the "weeds" that are growing in it. Some of the "weeds" are ones that I will save, such as stinging nettle, tansy, and yarrow. First I have to prepare the area that I will put them, so that when I dig up the area that they are in, I can just move them to their new home. There is an area of something that hasn't yet come into bloom, so I still don't know what it is, or whether I want it. There are plants there that I have not been able to identify even with a good "wild flower guide" book. I will continue digging and preparing the ground for next year, even though I am trying to grow a few things already this year.

Today I will do some grocery shopping, then I'll be home the rest of the day - except for walking the dogs. I have to go into town so I can get dog food, otherwise I would just go to the tiny shop at the end of my street. I'll continue reading a book on Finnish castles and considering the word "fortress".

No comments: