Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Musings

I haven't mused in a while - at least not here. It's quite normal for me to muse while walking mutts, or semi busy doing other things that don't take consentration.

The past few weeks have flown by in a blur. My days are fractured and irregular, so anything that requires planning and doing needs the space of time in which to get it done. Because I had to plan an Academic Reading course, something I haven't taught in a couple of years, I needed swaths of time to focus on that.  The planning phase is now over, the first third of the course is done. Most of what remains involves what the students actually do. Therefore I have a breather now.

I began the breather by reading Marked the first of the House of Night series. I was rivited to it for a couple of days - it only takes one consentrated day to read, but having read it once I had to read it again, and then I dipped into some of my favorite sections. Once the first third of my course was over I came home and watched Twilight (Thank you Hanna for the loan of both!). It is spectaculary performed, in spite of its deviation from the book - I assume though I have NOT yet read the books, rather I'm basing my opinion on the unfinished raw version of Midnight Sun available as a pdf download from Stephanie Meyer's website. This latter presents Edward Cullen's take on meeting Bella, and it is supurb! I HOPE that Ms. Meyer's will eventually be able to complete it in spite of everything.

What with all the vampyre and vampire things I began to contemplate a "course" on Vampires in in literature and film. It should be interesting. It would be more interesting if one of the participants were a vampire.

Other than these musings, I have only one other: this Thursday I should be able to see, study and examine a real finished version of the blouse that I am trying to make. Since I only got a few color copies of how the fancy stichery ought to look, and basically no guide lines on how to put it all together, where facings go, where they don't, what sort of neck opening, what kind of button holes, and about 30 other questions, I really can't proceed without a better understanding. I certainly will not waste time doing fancy stichery on something only to find out that the pattern really is wrong in even more places - currently the collar is WAY too long, the cuffs aren't right, so I suspect there just might be a few other details that need close attention. Which reminds me: I need to buy mm graph paper so I can remeasure EVERYTHING.

No comments: