Monday, December 8, 2008

Ants

The movie, Ants, was cute. But having ants in the kitchen is not cute. This morning I killed at least 100 of them and am trying to wash residual traces of honey off the various honey jars I have (cinnamon honey, ginger honey, regular honey, garlic honey, and Lingonberry (urva ursa) honey). They also like syrup - but not molasses.

Anyhow I do wonder what the local Ant News reports - new weapon of mass destruction now seen at... How would they decribe my thumb or forefinger decending on their family members?

Two weeks ago ants were not in "residence". Then the weather warmed slightly and in they came to forage for the winter. This is the second winter they will be occupying "my" territory. They vacated the premises last spring as soon as the ground thawed sufficiently. To keep them to a minimum I need to keep the kitchen almost spotlessly clean, the garbage emptied, and not allow bits of food to fall on the floor or for stickly little hands to leave ant-attractions all over the chairs or table (after a wonderful pancake breakfast the other day my daughter and I each washed the table and all the chairs. I also did the floor).

Smiles,
Susanne

No comments: