Friday, December 28, 2018

NUTS - for fabric

I went nuts at the fabric shop - after making certain that ALL my bills were paid.

First I selected some cotton fabric, a vivid deep yellow, and a  summer leaf green. These will become a "summer" dress - medieval of course! I will be trying out  new - to me - patterns from Medieval tailor's Assistant. I will also use the same patterns on the WOOL that I bought...

I've been keeping my eye on the available wool fabrics for the past few months.  They went from a meager selection to a much better (much, MUCH better) selection at the beginning of December. Colors are still somewhat limited, but... and I am frustrated by a general 20% polyester content, but...

I selected black (2.5 m) for a sleeveless gown (full length, flared.... Then a pretty muted coral (2.5m) which I envisioned as another sleeveless gown but am currently wondering if - and how - sleeves might also be possible. I also got a "powder" blue (2.5 m) which is a color often seen in nature here in Finland, when the sun is hidden behind a thinnish wall of clouds and a light mizzle slides over the lakes an cloaks the world in magic. This was planned to be a sleeveless gown also, but is now hopefully going to be a gown with sleeves! Then I got a red/light-grey herringbone (3.5m) definitely to be a sleeved dress. Finally I selected a 90% wool 10% cashmere in "grey". It has a mid grey side and a dark grey/grey herringbone side. This will become a sleeved surcoat for outdoor winter use. I wanted 3.5 m, but when I saw that there was just a "little bit" left over, I decided to take that too so I have 4.1 m which will certainly allow enough for a hood to match. This I plan to sew so that it is completely reversible and so that the contrasting other side also can show. All these fabrics have a lovely hand (soft to touch).
Four of my five new wools (and an old pillow). these have the washed samples on them as well as the washing instructions and purchase details
I began by cutting a small sample from each and subjecting them to a wool wash (in my new washing machine! :-) ) to test for shrinkage. The samples returned in excellent condition, so I washed the "powder blue" fabric, however, it seems the wash water didn't get the entire fabric wet, because it has large patches which are completely dry. Therefore I am wondering if it will be best to cut without washing the others, and to hope they stay clean!  in any event, I was NOT planning to wash the wool cashmere because it should develop it's own character

I also have - waiting to be cut - a beautiful yellow wool (100%), to be a sleeved gown. It has been washed and is about 3.5 m - or maybe 4.

The new powder blue, the muted coral, the red and light grey herringbone and the black, will need to serve double duty - for me, and as potential wear for family members who are thinner than myself. The cottons which I bought also need to serve double function in the same way.
The washed "powder blue" showing huge dry spots just moments out of the washing machine. Hope they do not leave "marks".

No comments: