Saturday, December 25, 2010

Eclectic

I am eclectic. That should be very apparent to anyone who knows me, perhaps less obvious to those who don’t know me well. How does this work, why does this work, what happens if I do this, does that make any difference, can I learn to do that? These are some of the underlying questions that drive me. Of course there are some things that I wouldn’t do – bungee jumping for example (of course with my osteoporosis it would be dangerous, but even before I knew I had it the idea of jumping from a height – no heights please – didn’t appeal).


Recently I was giving a bit of a history lesson. Lilja had just finished reading The Lord of the Rings (LOR)and we were discussing kings, nobility and how government has changed through the millennia from family groups, through tribes, and on to kingdoms and today’s modern world. She’s still into the LOR world, so I drew a parallel to the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA - see sca.org), which is something Lilja would enjoy taking part in.

One of my SCA friends, Adeliza, suggested I share some of the film clips of SCA stuff available on youtube with Lilja. So off I went to Google. And yes I found some great stuff on the SCA on youtube. I spent hours looking at things, trying to narrow down the choices to something sensible for ten year old Lilja.

Among the things I found was a song: I’ll See Your Six (c) copyright 1993 W.J. Bethancourt III who is known as: Ioseph of Locksley in the SCA. You can find the lyrics at: http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf/filk/seeyrsix.htm, the song itself at www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1TTLtxzNTU. Once you get there, you may want to hear Bethancourt’s Mongol Doodle Dandy and his Unanswered Questions too, in fact you might enjoy most of his music! I suppose what I like about I’ll See Your Six and Bethancourt's other music is the eclecticness it portrays.

No comments: